I realised that I hadn’t yet written an update on the bus progress, a.k.a a ‘Busdate’ since it left Sydney. The reason was that the time leading up to the leaving day with dad came upon us so quickly. It meant a lot of work got done, with not much time to relish what we achieved.
As mentioned previously, we removed the old rubber floor that had probably seen hundreds of dusty soles pass over it. Then we removed the old plywood boards to check the bus frame for rust. This all done after watching a few too many instructional YouTube videos… Our main focus being around the wheel arches as these screws were +++ rusty, if you remember my whinging. We were concerned about rust to the frame, so this was how we could check if it was there. Dad later said: “You could have also gotten under the bus and done the same!”…But we try not think about the ‘could haves’ because we might cry.
The week before the big move from Sydney, we worked like morons to organise the new floorboards. It had been reiterated over and over and over, to measure, measure, measure and for good measure, to measure again before cutting plywood sheets. So that is what we did. We measured the length of the bus, then the width. Then measured the width in another spot a metre down from that last measure and so on.
Unfortunately, because I had started on this post weeks ago, the details have been a bit lost. I might just make a long story shorter (a little at least).
We have become regulars at Bunnings, as expected. They don’t know us by name yet, but we are working on it with our frequent trips and large receipts. I think they might also start to watch us closely with our vacant-eyed wandering that we do around the store.
Anyway…To complete this job, we had a couple things to nut out. For instance, using the Bunnings trailer is way easier than using our own. Even though we invested in one for this particular reason. Booking in the trailer to use was more complicated than expected. Especially as we had returned it within ten minutes of use.
Of course when it came to putting the boards in, which measured a perfect 2440mm, (just like our bus!), a stupid metal rim that used to have the one side of the seat screwed into it, prevented a smooth landing for the boards. Meaning, we had to cut a sliver off each, and then cut them in half too. So maybe not JUST like our bus… All in all, with having to buy and attach a tow hitch for our car. Then order, measure, cut, and seal the boards, sikaflex the sides and screw the boards in A WEEK BEFORE THE BUS WAS LEAVING SYDNEY…it led to a bit of stress. While still working full time and packing up house. Because yes, we have evacuated from Sydney (just in time by the looks of things).
We had an amazingly safe space in Dural, thanks to Alfonso the owner. Always willing to help us with finding somewhere to get rid of our scrap metal and old boards, chairs etc. Always seemed to ‘know a guy’, which was awesome. However, having family right here, especially ones that are skilled as Mom and Dad has been incredible. Also, being 20m away from our bus instead of an hour away, definitely makes an enormous difference. Since the big move out of Sydney, we have achieved a great deal more than what we could have being stuck in the city.
I will be writing the next post with even more of an actual update! As so much has happened since my last post, it was a bit of an effort to get into this one. As usual… So excuse the crappy ‘Busdate’ on this one! I’ll be more on top of things from now on, and keep you with us as we make improvements. Particular thanks to the very encouraging and supportive bunch that are following along 🙂
Miss you all, and hope you are well x
We are also missing the salt-water therapy that was on our doorstep. These days we get the therapy in the sweat baths we are having daily during work!